Sturmhaubitze 42 Sd.Kfz. 142/2
10.5cm Stu H 42
Stug Briade 341 (Had 12 StuH42)
July 1944, Normandy
-First Images and Crew-
My latest vehicle, a Sturmhaubitze 42, basically a Stug III with the 105mm howitzer for infantry support. The model was originally made by Mardon Callanta in the Phillipines and I acquired it from Chamildav from the forums. The model had been nicely finished by Steve Hoeger (Panzerwerk). I could not resist getting this version of the Stug III. As usual, I decided to add some weathering and upgrade some items, basically to make it look similar to my other vehicles. For my purposes these vehicles are THE BEST! They are light AND strong. Easily detailed and modified.
In 1942, a variant of the StuG Ausf. F was designed with a 105 mm true howitzer instead of the 7.5 cm StuK 40 L/43 cannon. These new vehicles, designated StuH 42 (Sturmhaubitze 42, Sd.Kfz 142/2), were designed to provide infantry support. The StuH 42 mounted a variant of the 10.5 cm leFH 18 howitzer, modified to be electrically fired and fitted with a muzzle brake. Production models were built on StuG III Ausf. G chassis. The muzzle brake was often omitted due to the scarcity of resources later in the war. Alkett produced 1,299 StuH 42 from March 1943 to 1945.
These vehicles were deployed in independent Stug brigades to provide heavier destructive firepower and to supplement the brigade’s anti-tank defense.
Here a link to the Picturetrail WIP images of this vehicle:
I decided to remove a piece of the side fender as damage and add the regular dirt and weathering to the lower side. The tracks were also repainted. Many of the images of Stugs show a busy rear deck and in some cases what looks like a field modified fence on the rear to facilitate carrying all sort of ammo and equipment. Used some brass strips to make the fence. Added Aves Apoxie to hold the pieces to the vehicle. These brass strips are very thin and were much easier to cut than I expected, so I think I will try making side skirt rails for my still untouched regular Stug III. Removed the 05 to make it more of a generic vehicle. Added some styrene tubing to some of the wheel axles. I like to take low angled images of my vehciles out in the yard, so just in case some of these areas are visible, the thicker styrene sleeve will make these areas a little better. Overpainted the rubber wheels with a very dark brown, similar to the old Testor’s rubber, which is what I have used on my other vehicles. I always have thought it looks a little better than pure black.
Replaced the jack, jack mount, rear Notek light, fire extinguisher and wire cutters with the Armorpax pieces.
Added some Mike Stannard tools (hammer, axe, pike and shovel) and tow cables. Also used some latches and fixtures to attach the tow cables to the Stug. These parts are now available from Loic at Field of Armor Tanks.
Muzzle cover bag from East Coast Armory.
I overpainted the areas where the 05 number was removed and then went over the edges with my shadow color (dark brown). As usual I then went over the edges with dry-brushing with Buff. Sounds like a drastic color difference, but it blends well, especially after I dust the vehicle with other earth colors with the air gun. The original shading by Steve is still partially visible. I like the effect!
I made a bunch of pieces to be used on the rear deck of the vehicle. Nothing is fixed so I can change it to suit my needs. I probably would never duplicate a particular load as every time I place the items I end up with a different set up. I remove the bits to move the vehicle as I do not want to put too much stress on the railing.
Here some images with a full rear deck:
Here some images with the vehicles formal crew. Also made another crew with a more casual/campaign look for other set ups.
Here an image of a 1/35 model of a StuH42 that I used as inspiration for some of the modifications I made in my model: