Jagdpanzer IV, Sd.Kfz. 162
Here the full skirted version with muzzle brake, representing a JagdPanzerIV from the Panzer Lehr’s Panzer Jager Abt. 130 in the early days of the Normandy campaing. Farther below some of the various set ups and details. Farther down more images of the vehicle with a couple of previous figures (from my Nashorn). Eventually the tank killer will have its new 12thSS Pz Div crew.
Here a link to the WIP images in Picturetrail:
This vehicle took a very long time. Began some of the details over a year ago, and picked up the build in late December. At the end of the post, all the details of the parts.
No side skirts and no muzzle brake:
With full sideskirts:
With full sideskirts and muzzle brake:
With partial sideskirts and muzzle brake:
Rear of the vehicle and other details:
More images of the vehicle with its makeshift Heer crew.
This began as a Mardon Callanta JgPzIV L70 that I purchased over 10 years ago. Sometime after 2010, I decided I wanted to back date the model to a L48 version that would be useful for my Normandy photo set ups.
Sometime in 2015 I began working on putting together the upgraded tools and getting the mantlet and gun to look more like the L48. I changed the shape of the mantlet with Aves Apoxie and shortened the barrel. I also got a beautiful muzzle brake from Tim Bowman (Panzer Trap). Eventually as I did the research I realized that by the time these vehicles were fighting in Normandy, most had removed the muzzle brake. So I decided to make the model with both options. All the stock tools were replaced with tools and fittings from the late Mike Stannard, now available from Field of Armor. Changed the front fender, making a new one as the stock piece was rounded and not accurate. Initially I was planning to make it with operational hinges, or leave the pieces off completely, but surprisingly many of the images of these vehicles had these pieces still on! Used the hinges from front FOA fenders made for the Nashorn and the rest was made with sheet styrene and micro fastener’s hex head screws. Added zimmerit using spackling compound and zimmerit tools made by Mike Stannard. Upgraded some parts, using as reference the wonderful Nuts and Bolts publication. Exhaust and jack block from FOA, fire extinguisher, aerial base and jack from Armorpax. Decided to open up the range finder hatch and placed a DML rangefinder. Replaced the gunner’s sight periscope with an FOA piece. Painted the model in a two color camo pattern. As usual in most of my builds I did not add any unit markings as I want to use this tank hunter for more than one unit. Finally I made some individual side skirts to use as another option. I can place the full skirts on the vehicle, have the vehicle with no side skirts or with just a couple. These side skirts fell off the vehicles easily and it is very common to see them with no side skirts in period photos. Main Units that I will be modelling in the future are the PzLehr Pz Div., 2nd Pz Div and 12th SS Pz Div.